Royal Palace of Portici
The Reggia di Portici is one of the most splendid examples in Europe of the summer residence of the Bourbon royal family and its court. Located on the slopes of Vesuvius, it has an upper wood, originally dedicated to hunting, and a more ornamental type downstream, extending to the sea.
The Royal Palace was built in 1738 at the behest of the King of Naples, Charles of Bourbon, and his wife, Amalia of Saxony, fascinated by the landscapes of the South. Engineers, architects and decorators worked on its construction, from Giovanni Antonio Medrano to Antonio Canevari, from Luigi Vanvitelli to Ferdinando Fuga; Giuseppe Canart, Giuseppe Bonito and Vincenzo Re worked for the interior decoration, and Francesco Geri for the park and gardens.
The Portici site, chosen by King Charles for landscape reasons and for the resources suitable for hunting, turned out to be deeply imbued with buried memories: at every excavation of the earth, necessary for the construction of new buildings, some wonders of the past re-emerged in the light. The finds, coming from the buried cities of Herculaneum and Pompeii, proved rich and numerous and were placed in the rooms of the Royal Palace. The finds soon formed one of the most famous collections in the world and gave birth to the Herculanense Museum, inaugurated in 1758 and a privileged destination of the Grand Tour. To access the Reggia from the sea, the port of Granatello was built in 1773.
In the early nineteenth century, the archeology collections were transferred to Naples and formed the nucleus of the current National Archaeological Museum.
Galoppatoio dei Borbone
Portici Royal Palace – Department of Agriculture
The social dinner ceremony will be held in the grandiose structure of the covered Royal Galloppatoio of the Portici Royal Palace